Monday, December 5, 2011

Listmakers Anonymous

I love the challenge of getting things done every day.  It's fun to me to have a list and accomplish things.  Multiply the thrill when I figure out a new system that theoretically helps me accomplish EVERYTHING by doing a little part daily.  I was sooo excited about getting a new whiteboard and working out my master plan on it, broken down into tasks for each weekday.  It hangs on the wall on the way out of our bedroom, so I face it several times a day and it gives me new motivation.

On the outside, it may just look like I want to have a spotless house.  But if I had a spotless house I would be so bored!  Don't get me wrong, I don't need more to do.  I rarely never get everything done on my list.  It's that constant drive to find a better and more efficient way to do things.  I think about it laying in bed at night: "this takes too long to do, how can I get it done faster?"

I know I'm not alone.  You may be like me if you enjoy making lists, hoard office supplies, over-challenge yourself on housework, or want to spend your Saturday mornings with the windows open, cleaning every room top to bottom, uninterrupted!  You love the feeling of checking something off the list.  Maybe you break down tasks on the lists to be more specific just so you can cross more things off.  Then, at the end of a long day, you enjoy how exhausted you feel as you bask in the improvements you've made.

In the spirit of list making, I wanted to start one of "Streamlining Processes" that helps get stuff done!  I'd love to hear your ideas and add to this list.

• When folding and putting away laundry, I only fold/hang clothes and towels and match socks.  Diaper rags, undies, and pjs just get thrown in a drawer. There's something therapeutic about throwing a handful of underwear in the drawer, but it did take a while to get there.  Sometimes I still want to fold them, but I've learned to embrace the chaos in organized places (c:

• Whenever I go from one room to another, I try to find something close at hand that belongs in the room that I'm going to.  That way I can just put it away later when I'm working in that room.

• I work on one room or set of rooms each week of the month.  With Declan, using every second counts.  When he's asleep I try to work, but when he's awake and playing on his own I do housework.  Having a system and predetermined area I'm going to work on keeps me from fiddling around trying to decide what I need to do.  Then everything gets a good scrubbing on a regular basis (c:

•  Theoretically, I like to keep the sink empty.  Stack your dirty ones on the counter, please.  It makes it so much easier to start cleaning the kitchen.  When the dishes start piling in the sink, I hate having to empty it before starting, what a drag!  Better yet, wash your dish and stick it in the dishwasher (in a perfect world - although I know Laura does this (c: )

My apartment is usually in some sort of mess.  It's small, but there's always something that needs to be cleaned.  I don't think it's ever been tidy all at once, but at least everything gets attention every now and then.  To tell you the truth, I like it like that.  I'm still always looking for a better process, though!  What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment