Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Better Than Money

I know it's still early, but you know it's one of the best parts of being pregnant - picking out names. I always loved getting new fish or when my guinea pigs had babies because I got to think of names for them. So I figure, why prolong the pleasure, picking out a name SHOULD be a nine-month process. It's a big deal! I want this kid to have a name that is solid, timeless, pretty, easy to pronounce, fitting, fresh, and memorable. I thought I had names picked out at the back of my mind, but when it comes down to it, I've decided I'm going to find something better. I want you, my close friends and family to give me some honest feedback. I want to be able to weigh the pros and cons. I realize one name won't please all.

So, I'm going to tell you the names we're considering, and you tell me what your first impression is. In my next blog I'll talk about what the names mean to us and weigh the pros against the cons.

Boy Names:

James
Seamus
Decklan


Girl Names:

Alvaree
Margaret
Eoin (pronounced Ay-oh-win)

So what's your first impression?

4 comments:

  1. Picking names is fun even if you aren't pregnant! :D No idea why... I just like names.

    First impressions:
    -James: Nice name, a bit "usual," but that's not bad
    -Seamus: I guess I like it, I just haven't heard it much before.
    -Decklan: I think I prefer it spelled Declan, but I guess it's not too much of a difference.

    Alvaree: I don't think I've heard this name before. I guess she would go by Alva? It rhymes with Calvary!
    Margaret: Reminds me of my aunt :B
    Eoin: Not gonna lie, I dislike this based on the spelling. It looks like it might be pronounced Ee-oyn, and she'd probably have trouble with getting people to pronounce it right all her life. Eowyn is the Lord of the Rings spelling and I almost prefer that, despite its connotations, because it's easier to pronounce from sight. Or Aeowyn. I think I actually really like the name if it was spelled like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babynames.com says Eoin is a boy's name and that it's the Irish form for John... seems odd to me because it sounds more like a girl's name. But then again, I've never met anyone with the name.
    http://www.babynames.com/name/EOIN

    (sorry, my other comment had a spelling error that bothered me :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! When I found out that you were pregnant the first thing I thought of was, wow that baby is going to have an awesome name. lol! I'll never be able to remember george leopold maximillian's full name....(I think that's right)...but I'll never forget how fabulous his name was either. :)

    ReplyDelete