Monday, January 10, 2011

Week 17: You Just Missed It, Baby

For many, many years, I would look forward to the possibility of snow during the winter months in south Texas.  For a long stretch, there was none and I was able to tell my friends that I had never seen snow in person.  Mom told me that the last time it snowed was the year she was early spring that she was pregnant with me.  She must have only been two or three months along now that I think about it, but it hurt to think that I had *just* missed it!

I thought about that yesterday as I watched my husband run outside in his t-shirt, pj pants, and moccasin house shoes.  He stayed out there for several minutes taking pictures and I stood in the doorway, letting it open just enough to grimacingly participate.  If we move back down south, our baby might just have the same snow-less experience that I did.

I am ecstatic about Thursday.  All of this time, I have to admit that I don't quite feel like I know that there is a baby inside me yet.  Despite the physical differences in me, this is not very personal yet.  Lots of people wait to find out the gender of their baby, but I feel like I need to know in order to really understand it.  Are you James or Alvaree?  Or are we going to change your name?

No comments:

Post a Comment